i heart ny

I’m working in New York right now. It’s a meeting-packed trip. But the nice thing about New York is that, even if you don’t have time to see a Broadway show, you still get a show. Some things I’ve seen/heard/eaten in my first 24 hours in the city:

  • A woman dressed from head to toe in orange-rust. Her hair was orange-rust. So was her luggage.

  • A panhandler with a strong Nuyorican accent claiming, “It’s my first trip to America! I have no family here!” He lit up a cigarette on the subway. When someone told him he had to put it out he said, “It’s my first trip to America!” He snuffed out his cigarette, then immediately lit another.

  • Food from a place called The Best In New York Food. I think that “The Best” is intended to describe “New York Food,” but I prefer to think of it as “The Best In New York” “Food.” I just like the idea that an eating establishment would label itself so boastfully (the best!) and so humbly (not even a diner or a deli, just straight-up food).

  • Two girls debating whether “conversate” is a word (“It’s in the dictionary!”).

  • Several episodes of Storage Wars. That shit’s addictive.

Comments

Alberto Brian said…
I think that “The Best” is intended to describe “New York Food,” but I prefer to think of it as “The Best In New York” “Food.” - okay, first of all; I love this.

Okay now, that aside: You really haven't even come close to The Best until you've eaten at "The Best #2" along with a sign inside that explains that this #2 comes from "The Original Best #1" ... really, there's an art to the boasting of a NYC storefront sign that others, I don't thing, really even dare to touch in this country. mmm mmmm good.
Cheryl said…
I guess they decided against "The Second Best" as a name? I want to eat there!

Popular posts from this blog

what would finn do?

soleil for a day

offensive tattoos