out of pocket


You are not from my body,
but I gave you my body
because it was all I had 
those lean first months
(and by lean I mean
I gorged myself late at night
when the Bad News Factory
had shut down for the day,
I hoped; I breathed in
quesadillas and breathed out
fear).

My mind was stuck
in a sandy ditch, somewhere
between 2011 and our last
failed adoption that spring:
We skipped stones in a manmade lake
and left Reno without a baby.
When you arrived, somehow
too early and too late, 
I was a sad spinning tire,
a clock missing half my cogs,
but still right twice a day.

You: a 32-weeker, a four-pounder,
quick to shake off your rocky entry
into this world: You arrived breech
but righted yourself, right as my world
turned upside down, again.
I fussed and projected,
wondered if I wanted any of this.
But your name means baby kangaroo
and I pocketed you, like something coveted
and stolen. My hold was not sweet,
but it was steadfast.

When you slept on my chest,
our hearts were inches apart.
You were a sandbag, a warm cat,
not a container for all my worries
but something dense and full and now.
And just as these moments doubled
and doubled again,
like a pregnancy proving viable,
another era was upon us.
The cocoon opened,
our musty truths dispersed.

Now our days begin with a drive
to daycare: more kind strangers,
like a bookend to the NICU,
people who know better than I do.
This is the end of the beginning,
and did I ever fumble it,
sobbing I'm sorry into the folds
of your neck instead of watching
your eyes turn from rock-blue
to cola-brown, a dark sunrise.
Now I pick you up after sundown.

To say I have regrets
implies I could have done it
a different way. Or that you could have,
or the mother who wanted to hold you
forever, but placed you in my shaking arms.
To say I have regrets implies I won't have more.
This is the beginning of next part,
and no one knows how many there will be.
For now your body surfs mine
and I wrap a blanket around us
like a seatbelt.




Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi.
Thank you for posting such great blog. I learned some useful knowledge, and I appreciate the opportunity to express my thoughts. I sincerely appreciate your efforts. I'm also looking forward to your next amazing blog.
Here is sharing AlterYX information may be its helpful to you.
AlterYX Training

Popular posts from this blog

what would finn do?

soleil for a day

offensive tattoos