bread and bread pudding

Although we devoured those fire-pit pies in a manner that would have made Cookie Monster proud, we still had two full loaves of squishy white bread left over. And while part of me wanted to wad them up into dense little balls and eat them like bon bons, I decided the more respectable thing to do would be to add a bunch of butter, sugar and milk, and make bread pudding.

Because I don’t fare well with recipes that involve complex processes (like rolling out dough) or more than six ingredients, I went with this one:

4 slices buttered toast
1 (#2) can peaches
3 eggs, beaten
1/3 c. sugar
Dash of salt
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. vanilla
3 c. milk

Place toast in bottom of deep baking dish. Drain peaches and save juice. Put peaches over top of toast. Mix other ingredients and half of peach juice. Pour over fruit and toast. Bake 45 minutes at 350 degrees.


I left out one egg and vanilla, which I didn’t have. And baked it for an extra twenty minutes because our oven is weird. Nevertheless, it still came out pretty damn tasty. That’s the power of bread, my friends.

Note: The picture above is not of my bread pudding. It’s more like what my bread pudding would look like if it went to Glamour Shots. But opted for a polka-dot table cloth instead of a sparkly prom-picture background.

Comments

Peter Varvel said…
While I admire the heck out of your writing accomplishments, this post is an example of why I consider you a sugar & carb soul mate - this pure, unadulterated delight!
Thanks for the love and calories.
Cheryl said…
Sugar is what fuels the rest of it, right? I raise my muffin to you, my fellow carbivore.

Popular posts from this blog

what would finn do?

soleil for a day

pms of the soul