save some dates: private dicks and fem(inists) fatales

Pretty much all literary events that don’t happen during National Poetry Month in April happen in October. And those that don’t happen in October get squeezed into November. It’s shaping up to be a busy (and fun) month for me and my fellow writers.

First, Jamie and I will both be participating in the month-long Night and the City: L.A. Noir in Poetry, Fiction and Film festival. You may remember that I was lukewarm on The Big Sleep, but I do love me some dark alleys, dirty secrets and stylish fedoras. Will I dress in costume when I read a bit of Chandler’s work and a bit of my own with the fabulous Pam Ward on Nov. 6? You’ll just have to come and find out.

What: Noir Genius: Weldon Kees and Jorge Luis Borges
When: Tuesday, Nov. 1, 7 p.m.
Who: Jamie FitzGerald, Dana Gioia, Lou Mathews, Robert Mezey, Mariano Zaro
Where: Libros Schmibros, 2000 E. 1st St., Los Angeles, CA 90033

What:
Big Noir Open Reading—with Features
When: Sunday, Nov. 6, 3-5 p.m.
Who: Cheryl Klein, Pam Ward, Mike Sonksen
Where: Gemini Manor*, 1341 N. Mariposa Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90027

Flash forward about three decades. L.A. still has plenty of dark alleys and dirty secrets, but the fedoras have been replaced by corduroy bellbottoms, and women are roaring in amazing, imaginative ways that still haven’t gotten proper credit. Seriously, why are the Black Panthers and the ACT-UP crew held up as icons of empowered coolness while first-wave feminists are seen as whiny women in Birkenstocks?**

Maybe we’ll address this on Nov. 14, when I’ll moderate a panel of some of my favorite foremothers as part of Pacific Standard Time. I am seriously so humbled and excited to be part of such a big exhibit/citywide party celebrating two of my favorite things: art and L.A.

What: Telling Stories, The New Short Fiction Series presents the Woman's Building Writers Workshop
When: Sunday, Nov. 14, 6:30-7:30 p.m.
Who: Bia Lowe, Deena Metzger, Terry Wolverton; their stories will be performed by Jesse Holcomb, Barbara Keegan and Sally Shore; after-panel moderated by Cheryl Klein
Where: Annenberg Beach House***, 415 Pacific Coast Highway, Santa Monica, CA 90402


*I hear this is some crazy old ramshackle mansion that was a big party house in the eighties. That alone is enough to get me there.
**I am not saying this to imply a hierarchy among movements. I believe all equal rights movements are created equal.
***Another seriously fantastic location!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

what would finn do?

soleil for a day

offensive tattoos